Problem linking Chase accounts with Personal Capital
Last Update: 1/12/2019
My spouse and I both have accounts at Chase bank. We have different credentials.
I can't simultaneously link both of our Chase bank accounts to Personal Capital.
Numerous attempts to get help have failed, so I created this web page.
I hope it provides better communication with Personal Capital.
For more than a year, I did Personal Capital the courtesy of not linking to the page, so it would not be indexed.
This has gone on too long. This page is now linked to from my home page.
Soon, it will be found by search engines.
Contact: jlrubin AT gmail DOT com .
02-25-2018 2:15 pm EDT
My spouse's accounts ('Chase') are linked and mine are not. All three accounts are in an error state.
- Following Personal Capital's instructions, I ruled out typing errors by
typing my username and password into a text file.
I logged into my Chase account
by copying and pasting those credentials into Chase's website.
I logged out of Chase's website.
- At Personal Capital's request, I verified that I can log into Chase's website using https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx?LOB=Yodlee
- I logged into Personal Capital.
My spouse's accounts updated and showed the correct balances.
- I clicked "Link Another Account" and then clicked the image for Chase bank.
I copied and pasted my username and password into Personal Capital's website.
I clicked "Link" and returned to the "Dashboard".
The Chase accounts updated again, but my accounts did not appear.
I have tried these steps at least 9 times over many months.
- 06/18/2017 Online request acknowledged. "2 Chase accounts not updating."
- 07/10/2017 Online request acknowledged. "2 Chase accounts have not updated since 5/9/2017."
- 07/15/2017 Online request acknowledged. "Same issue, same lack of response."
- 10/24/2017 Online request acknowledged. "I need two sets of credentials ..."
- 11/15/2017 Created this web page. Submitted online request with a link to it.
- 11/17/2017 Got a useful response from Shawn.
- 11/19/2017 Numerous tests with Shawn. He asserts he is committed to solving the problem.
- 11/21/2017 Email says case has been taken over by Carlos.
- 12/05/2017 I'm back from vacation.
No contact from Personal Capital.
I email Carlos.
- 01/02/2018 No progress. Emailed Carlos
- 01/03/2018 At Carlos suggestion, tried again. Exactly the same trouble.
Told Carlos the length of my username and password.
- 01/08/2018 Tried to link my Chase accounts. No change in behaviour.
- 01/15/2018 Carlos replied that their system has credentials with different lenghts
than I reported on 1/3/2018.
Personal Capital is linked to my spouse's accounts, so they have her credentials.
We are trying to get Personal Capital to accept MY CREDENTIALS to MY ACCOUNTS at Chase.
- 01/28/2018 Responded to Carlos' request of 1/25/18.
Logged into Personal Capital.
All of my spouse's Chase accounts updated correctly.
My Chase accounts are not shown.
Tried to Link to *my* Chase accounts.
Nothing happened. No error state. No twirly things.
- 02/05/2018 I tried to link my Chase accounts.
My wife's accounts are still linked and working properly.
A new group of accounts called 'Chase - 1' appeared for the first time.
'Chase - 1' is in an error state.
- 02/13/2018 Emailed.
- 03/19/2018 Carlos replied to my 03/09/2018 email.
- 07/11/2018 No more Mr. Nice Guy.
I am now letting search engines index this page.
Personal Capital is linked to my wife's account but not to my own.
- 11/22/2018 I have given up trying to preserve old data. Some time ago, I deleted both sets of Chase accounts and tried to start over.
My wife's accounts are linked, but in an error state. My accounts are not linked. A few days ago, Personal Capital reported "known problems" with Chase accounts,
but gave no useful advice beyond telling people to type their username and password into a text file, and verifying that they work with Chase and work with Personal Capital. I tried this yet again. No change in behavior.
- 11/22/2018 I wonder how Personal Capital will adapt to the growing use of two factor authentication.
I don't see what incentive financial institutions have to cooperate.
Is this the end of Personal Capital?
- 1/12/2019 Got a friendly message from a person who offers a possible solution. I will try.